Saturday, May 15, 2010

Paul and Silas in Prison

Acts 16:16 tells the story of Paul and Silas in Prison.

Paul and Silas were walking the streets when a slave girl ran into them. This young girl began following them down the street, shouting at them. People began to notice and it began to draw attention to Paul and Silas. The girl Kept following them for days, shouting "these men are working for he Most High God". Paul finally became annoyed turned around and commanded that the evil spirit leave her, and it was gone, instantly! The owners of this girl were livid, and demanded Paul and Silas beat and thrown into jail for causing the city to be in an uproar.

Paul and Silas were publicly humiliated, beaten bloody, and then thrown into jail.

Around midnight, Paul and Silas were at prayer and singing a robust hymn to God. They were worshiping! They were praising! They were praying!

These two men that were persecuted for setting a slave free, had their clothes ripped off and beaten in the public square were now WORSHIPING! Today as I was reading this I began to really see their boldness, their trust, their shear passion, and love, their faith. Typically in a situation like this a person would be complaining, self loathing and maybe even angry with God. I was blown away how Paul and Silas kept their chins up and celebrated their God. They didn't curse him or complain they worshipped him, captivating a whole prison. They knew that God never wished this upon them, BUT trusted God was in control. They praised Him and knew He would redeem their situation, and HE did!

I began to really think about this in my own life... how important it is to praise God even in the worst of times. To really worship Him, to really trust Him even when life doesn't feel good. I don't want to be a feel good Christian. I want to LIVE a life of worship and not only when it feels good.

It is so important to continue to worship, to declare God's truth. It is equally important to speak the truth powerfully over your life and deep into your heart. I know that the times I have felt God the most is while I worship, and acknowledge that God is GOD!

Paul and Silas are an inspiration.

It was funny that this morning I read this, and then later on tonight I stumbled upon Jill McCloghry's Dessert Song interview, and it talked about worshiping God even when the pain seems too much!

I continued to think about my relationship with God, my daily worship, and I was challenged today. I WANT TO WORSHIP WITH ALL MY HEART, EVERYDAY!!!!

No comments: